Road closure to cause delays for Notts match
Somerset and Nottinghamshire supporters are being advised allow for delays when traveling to the Cooper Associates County Ground for the Specsavers County Championship match which begins on Tuesday.
Station Road will be closed so that the new Kingston Loop Bridge can be lowered into place as part of the next phase of a major road scheme.
The road will be fully closed to traffic from 6.30am on Monday 19 September until 11.30pm on Friday 23 September. The contractor has also booked the following week from Monday 26 September to Friday 30 September as a contingency should works over-run.
A number of alternative arrangements will be in place during the closure including:
- For vehicles, a signed diversion route will be in place via the Obridge Viaduct, although, as with any road closure, drivers are free to seek their own alternatives.
- For pedestrians, access will be maintained during working hours (6.30am to 11.30pm) using steps and a ramp via Whitehall. Outside of working hours, one of the footpaths beneath the bridge will be reopened for pedestrian access.
- For pedestrians with limited mobility, Carillion will be providing a shuttle bus.
- Parents with prams and pushchairs will be offered help using the steps, or they can choose to catch the shuttle bus.
- Cyclists can use the diversion for vehicles or will be offered assistance using the pedestrian route. Alternative routes for cyclists are also available, including via Leslie Avenue/The Avenue to the west, and via Obridge Road/Winkworth Way/offroad cycletrack/Canal Road to the east.
For more information about the closure and the arrangements that have been put in place please click here
Somerset County Council will also keep people up to date with the work and the live traffic situation via @TravelSomerset on Twitter.