Community Engagement is a vital element of any professional sports club. It is absolutely vital that Somerset County Cricket Club takes an active role within both the local area and further afield.
The key aims at the heart of our Community Engagement Strategy are as follows:
- Be of genuine benefit to the community.
- Help raise funds for charities and worthy causes.
- Provide positive experiences.
- Inspire people of all ages and abilities to become involved in the sport, whether that be through participation or spectating.
- Encourage participation in the sport and therefore promote healthy lifestyles.
- Ensure that Somerset County Cricket Club becomes an important part of the local community.
- Alter perceptions about the accessibility of the sport.
The Club’s Community Engagement work has grown considerably over the last four years and has included:
- Annual visits to Musgrove Park Hospital’s Children’s Ward at Christmas, BIBIC and Selworthy Special School. These have proved to be of major benefit to the children that we have interacted with. They have also had a positive impact on the playing staff in attendance.
- Our annual School’s Day has seen over 4000 children get a taste of professional cricket over the course of the past four years.
- The Cage Cricket Initiative at the Halcon Estate helped to see a reduction in antisocial behaviour in that ward.
- Coaching Masterclasses with First XI players have proved extremely popular.
- Two fun sessions on the outfield with the Pakistan Touring team in 2016 plus the England and Australian Women’s teams have seen nearly 400 children visit the Cooper Associates County Ground and train with elite sports stars.
- Since 2014 the number of player community appearances that we carry out has nearly doubled.
“We always enjoy visits from Somerset County Cricket Club. The opportunity to have a training session with international cricketers is a privilege and everyone at Selworthy school had a wonderful time.”
Selworthy School Head Teacher Mark Ruffet
“It’s really nice to have Somerset County Cricket Club visit Musgrove children’s ward every year and it’s great that we are supported by our County team. I know that the children really appreciate seeing the players and Stumpy as well as the gifts that they bring.”
Musgrove Hospital Health Play Specialist Jane Horne