Seven Up for Somerset at the Super Fours
Somerset can lay claim to seven players who have been named in the South West Under 17 squad to take part in the Regional Super Fours next week. The tournament will take place at Loughborough and during the course of the week the team will play three 50-over games as well as two T20s.
The Somerset representatives who have been selected are:
- Will Smeed who is only 15 years old and enjoyed success recently at the Bunbury Festival
- Under 17s- batsman/wicket-keeper Ben Wells
- Ned Dunning who is an off spinner
- Fast bowler Nathan Gilchrist
- Charles Clist who has been named as one of the reserve batsmen
- Left handed batsman and left arm medium fast bowler Tom Lammonby
- Lewis Goldsworthy, a right handed batsman and left arm spin bowler
Somerset Academy Director and Second XI coach Steve Snell said: “I’m really delighted for all of the players who have received recognition for their hard work and efforts. The Super Fours competition is of a very high standard and they will all have to be on top form to make an impact on that stage. However the reality is that if they do well in this environment against their peers, it’s a really good yardstick as to how they are going and where they are as cricketers.
“This is a real opportunity for them to go and show what they can do. From the Club’s perspective to have seven players involved speaks volumes about the pathway and the coaching from age group cricket through to the Academy. It shows that it is producing players of quality.”
“It’s brilliant for the players, but I also want to congratulate Paul Tweddle, Greg Kennis, Andrew Griffiths and Alfonso Thomas for the work that they have done with these young cricketers which has enabled them to progress.”Back to News