Stuart Barnes to join Ireland coaching staff for ODI series against England
Somerset County Cricket Club Assistant & Bowling Coach Stuart Barnes will join the Ireland Men’s coaching staff this month for the recently announced one-day international series against England.
Barnes, who has coached Bangladesh, Surrey and England Young Lions amongst others, was appointed Somerset’s full time Assistant & Specialist Bowling Coach in November. He will assume a similar role for Ireland under the guidance of Head Coach Graham Ford, joining the squad for the 19-day period covering the ODI camp, two warm-up matches and three ODIs.
Barnes said: “To receive an invitation to help coach at international level was very pleasing. Not only is it a great chance for me to learn by being in that environment, it’s an opportunity to find ways to add value to the Ireland dressing room and assist the Irish bowlers in this One-Day Series against England.
“Both Cricket Ireland and Somerset County Cricket Club have been unbelievably accommodating in making this happen and allowing me to proceed with this opportunity”
Richard Holdsworth, High Performance Director for Cricket Ireland, said:
“Stuart is a highly-respected coach and we are delighted he is able to join our support staff for this series as Assistant and Bowling Coach. Not only will his expertise be of value, but his knowledge of local conditions will assist our bowling unit greatly.”
“We would like to thank Director of Cricket Andy Hurry and the management of Somerset County Cricket Club – not just for agreeing this deal with Stuart, but for their long-term support for Irish cricket. Just from the current squad, the likes of George Dockrell and Kevin O’Brien have appeared for Somerset over the years, and we are appreciative that this arrangement was facilitated so smoothly.”
The tour schedule
- 18 July: Squad departs from Dublin for ODI Training Camp
- 22 July: Practice match
- 26 July: Ireland XI v England Lions (warm-up match)
- 30 July: 1st ODI v England (day/night, starts 2pm)
- 1 August: 2nd ODI v England (day/night, starts 2pm)
- 4 August: 3rd ODI v England (day/night, starts 2pm)
- 5 August: Squads returns to Dublin
- All three ODIs will be available to watch live on Sky Sports Cricket in Ireland/UK. Please check local guides for countries outside of this.
- BBC Sport will be providing Test Match Special commentary, BBC2 will provide TV highlights and BBC social media will feature video clips during play.
Back to News