Somerset overcome Glamorgan and the weather


An outstanding bowling display ensured that Somerset overcame Glamorgan and the weather to move one step closer to qualification for the Vitality Blast quarter-finals with a 16 run win in Cardiff.

Persistent rain reduced the match to a seven over contest with Glamorgan putting Somerset into bat. Early wickets pegged the visitors back, but some powerful blows from Tom Abell and Ben Green took Somerset to 75 for six.

Just as was the case with the Somerset innings, Glamorgan suffered early losses as they got the chase underway. Unlike Somerset they did not have the late acceleration to get them to their target with Colin Ingram playing a lone hand to finish on 37 not out.

Once the match got underway Michael Neser gave Glamorgan the perfect start with the ball as the visitors lost the wickets of Tom Banton and Rilee Rossouw to consecutive balls.

Somerset’s batting efforts received another blow in the second over when Will Smeed chipped a ball from Michael Hogan to Andrew Salter at mid off for three. His wicket meant that Somerset were seven for three inside the first two overs.

Prem Sissodya’s first over also brought a wicket, Lewis Gregory edging behind to wicket-keeper Alex Horton for seven to leave his side 15 for four. The second over from Sissodya contained two boundaries before he bowled Tom Lammonby for 18 to leave Somerset at 41 for five.

However, Abell and Green were outstanding in the final two overs, putting on 34 runs in 13 balls at the end of the Somerset innings.

Glamorgan’s pursuit of the 76 run target got off to a poor start when Sam Northeast became the third player to be dismissed first ball when he edged Craig Overton through to Tom Banton. David Lloyd then fell in the following over, bowled by Peter Siddle for just one to reduce Glamorgan to 17 for two.

Dan Douthwaite, promoted up the order in this shortened game, lasted just four balls before be holed out on the boundary edge for just three with Green picking up the wicket.

Green’s impressive all-round performance continued in his second over when Kiran Carlson edged him through to Banton for seven.

Ingram and Eddie Byrom where left with 38 runs required from just 12 balls. That equation became 32 from 11 when Byrom smashed Josh Davey for six but the Glamorgan batter was trapped lbw the very next ball.

Ingram swung manfully in the final over, bowled by Siddle, but his efforts would always be in vain as Somerset claimed a vital two points.

At the end of the match, Ben Green said: “It’s always difficult when it’s a shortened game like that. I think the key with what we did was to try and keep it as simple as possible. Try to execute to a simple plan ,and on the whole I think we did that really well and it showed with managing to get across the line.

I wasn’t sure if we had enough runs, but obviously those last two overs were huge in terms of dragging the momentum back to us. It wasn’t pretty, but we squirted a few boundaries and managed to get some runs off the last.”

Back to News

Next MatchSomerset V Sussex Sharks

19/08/2022 14:00 - The Cooper Associates County Ground